Date: April 25, 2009
Location: Jeffrey’s in Braselton
Cumulative Winners: The Alliance (r/u: Oedipus & the Mama’s Boys)
Background: After high scores reigned in MTM VII, Bobby vowed to exact his revenge the following year. One of the hardest March Trivia Madness finals ever, it set the stage for one of the biggest upsets in the history of the St. Patrick’s Cup.
1. Hockey – What is the only former WHA franchise in the Eastern Conference?
2. Celebrities – This is a picture of what famous person:
3. Oscars – Who is the only man to be awarded Best Actor posthumously?
4. Warfare – What is the only country to acknowledge possession of nuclear weapons but later renounce them?
5. Music (opens in a new tab)
Song 1 (60’s)
6. Golf – The Sarazen Bridge is a foot bridge that runs over the water hazard at what hole at Augusta National?
7. Psychology – According to psychologist Howard Gardner, there are 7 types of intelligence. Name any 4 of them.
8. Mythology – What Ibis-headed god taught the Egyptians hieroglyphics and is often described as the scribe of the gods?
9. TV – Elroy Kleinschmidt is the real name of what TV character?
10. This is a character from “My Little Pony”. What was his name?
E. None of the above
11. Soccer – In the history of the Scottish “Old Firm” match, which team has won most often?
12. Star Wars – In the pre-production of the original Star Wars film, what was Luke Skywalker’s original name?
13. College – Of the original Seven Sisters all-women’s colleges, two now accept men. Name either.
14. Authors – Who wrote The Last of the Mohicans?
15. Flags – Identify the country (2 pts each):
16. NFL – What NFL city was originally slated to join the AFL, but reneged on their agreement and instead joined the NFL in 1961?
17. Battles – The Battle for Stirling Bridge was a major victory in what country’s battle for independence?
18. Bible – What Old Testament book, whose authorship is attributed to Jeremiah, is traditionally read by Jews on Tisha B’Av, the day of fasting that commemorates the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem?
19. Science – From the Latin for “whip,” what is the tail-like structure found on prokaryotic and/or eukaryotic cells that aids them in locomotion?
20. Grunge – What Alice In Chains song is a tribute to fallen Mother Love Bone lead singer Andrew Wood?
Aftermath: Entering #20, the top of the leaderboard was filled with teams who all felt overdue for a championship. First place – Maroons. 2nd place, Oedipus. 3rd was a tie between The Experience and The Alliance. All 4 teams are solid teams with a lot of trivia under their collective belts, and all 4 saw an opportunity to finally win the St. Patrick’s Cup. This led to numerous big bigs on what wound up being an incredibly simple yet difficult #20. This opened the door for relative newcomers Much Ado About Muffins. Muffins weren’t a bad team at all, and they’d had a decent day, but at that point, they needed some help. They were just within striking distance. And strike they did. With the only correct 20 point answer near the top of the leaderboard, Muffins vaulted themselves to their first MTM Championship. Maroons played it smart, bid safe, and finished 2nd. Likewise for Buckhead Rednex, who had to battle Oedipus & the Mama’s Boys in OT to take the 3rd place prize.
|TEAM||1st Quarter||Halftime||3rd Quarter||#19||Final Score|
|Much Ado About Muffins||15||22||42||56||76|
|Oedipus & the Mama’s Boys||18||27||49||67||57|
|My Hot Boss||8||6||16||24||44|